Lemsford Village- St Johns Church Lemsford Village
Lemsford is a small village on the outskirts of Welwyn Garden City in mid-Hertfordshire.
The village contains about 68 houses and bungalows and around 120 residents. There are two lively and popular pubs, The Sun and the uniquely-named Long Arm and Short Arm, an Anglican church, a primary school and a handful of business premises. Lemsford lies on the border ofthe Brocket Estate, which includes the late 18th Century mansion Brocket Hall, home of two Victorian Prime Ministers, Lords Melbourne and Palmerston. A footpath from the village over the River Lea gives access to hundreds of acres of beautiful countryside, including native woodland, farmland, parkland and two golf courses. The village has only two roads, the main route – known simply as Lemsford Village – and Mill Close, a short cul-de-sac of former council housing, built in the late 1960s. Many of the older detached houses in the village have considerable architectural and heritage value, and a few date back to the 17th Century. Lemsford has not had a shop for many years, but is, fortunately for its many elderly residents, linked to the centre of Welwyn Garden City by a reasonably good bus service. The A1(M) motorway is easily accessible. Click Here to view Village Website
The History of Lemsford Parish
The parish of Lemsford was created out of the parish of Bishop's Hatfield in 1859. Originally the parish included Lemsford Village itself, with the outlying areas of Cromer Hyde, Stanborough and the Brocket Park Estate plus part of the west side of what is now Welwyn Garden City. Boundary changes in 1927 transferred this latter area to the newly founded Welwyn Garden City. The river Lea (or river Lee), which once formed part of the boundary of the Saxon kingdoms of Mercia and Wessex runs through the parish. The A1 motorway, the main arterial north - south road, follows roughly the course of the "Old Great North Road" from London to York which went from Stanborough, through Lemsford Village and on to Old Welwyn until by-passed in 1834. The parish of Lemsford now forms part of the administrative area of Welwyn Hatfield Council in the English county of Hertfordshire. Click Here to View Lemsford Local History Group Website
Please look at our Parish Directory for useful contacts or scroll down this page.
Our friendly church is prominently located in the village of Lemsford, Hertfordshire. You can find us north of Hatfield, close to Welwyn Garden City on the B653 at the South East side of Brocket Hall Park. The village of Lemsford itself is well known throughout the area for its large mill on the River Lea which winds its way through Brocket Hall Park.
View Larger Map
Members of our lively congregation live in Lemsford, Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield and elsewhere in the surrounding area. We also have a special concern for Hatfield Garden Village as well as our own parish. Children are, of course, always welcome in church and are a valued part of our church family. All ages join for the whole service in church once a month and on other occasions. Our main Sunday Service is at 11 am. Each Sunday we also have an 8.00 am Holy Communion (Prayer Book) and a 6.30 pm Evening Service, variable.
St Johns Church - Lemsford Village
In 1858 Queen in Council approves the Ecclesiastical Commission's request to create the new Parish of Lemsford out of the Parish of Bishop's Hatfield, diocese of Rochester, on the 3rd February.
1859 Consecration of St. John's, Lemsford by Lord Aukland, Bishop of Bath & Wells on the 27th May.
Find out more about St Johns Church Lemsford